Saturday, October 15, 2005

Shipping and Training

In the middle of the afternoon we came to a patch where much shipping seemed to be in action. 11 were blasting their fog horns to the greatest capacity. Soon the cause became apparent - a wreck, the funnels still above water. It appeared to be a passenger steamer, and we hoped all had been rescued.

Now and again land loomed into view, houses clustering together under the white-ish cliffs - windmills...

We were once more on land at 16:45. The customs were rapidly dealt with and soon we were on the train once more. A long wait - representative of Dutch casuality - then off we go. The train was certainly very well heated, and there was no need to freeze. Indeed, we took off our coats and opened the windows wide.

Before nine (Dutch time) we arrived at the frontier. The two English ladies had to suffer a thorough examination; particularly with regard to money. They had a good hunt in our suitcases too, but found nothing - not that there was anything for them to find. About 11:30pm, we reached Koln, where I had to wish my friend Goodbye. I seated myself once more and enjoyed the cool night air which came in and the familiar view of the Hotel Viktoria advertising "Dortmund Bier".

(I am not a great drinker as a rule, but Deutches Bier can be very refreshing after a long hot walk.)

Once more we were on our way. By now, it was too dark to see much of the outside world. I ate my supper. A Hungarian woman, and also a German, had come in at Koln, their windows were promptly shut as tight as possible. I made a pillow out of my spare coat and stretched out on the seat which I was lucky to have all to myself. I should not like to recommend such a bed for anyone without padding. All the same, I slept quite comfortable.

No comments: