Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Jews

Dienstag .23

A strange person, who has experienced too much for her years. The education in Austria seems to have improved. This girl, Ulina, had apparently a poor educations + is of a poor family, left school at 16, + worked 6 years in England. Has a strong grudge against the Jews, on whose account she left Austria; she reads the Stürmer from one end to the other daily and I wonder she doesn't become mad. She longs to return to England, where she had many posts good + bad, + where she received good pay. Unfortunately, under the present economical conditions it is not an easy thing for her.

(It is well known that many Austrians were previously employed in England, now they have been called back to Austria to live under the new Regime.)

She hates the Austrian food. I sympathise. Just now it is very bad. Clean + eatable, but so little fruit + everyone has the right to complain. She told me a most peculiar story (of which I remember little) concerning a family who employed her in Scotland. Apparently they were Spiritualists + behaved most peculiarly - especially on Monday + Tuesday when they dressed in special blue clothes + had the sitting room also furnished in blue + hung the blue curtains. The husband had particularly impressed her by wearing a garment similar to that worn on certain occasions by Jews.

She was indeed convinced that he was a Jew. I wonder. Her mind seems to be quite corrupted from her misfortune in having to leave England + from hatred of the Jews. The conversation took place in the kitchen + lasted until half 10. By this time I thought of my washing and letters which I had not attended to + as we were already on good terms I was allowed to wash in the kitchen + hang my things up in the bathroom.

1 comment:

Post-Denom Jew said...

I find the blog of your grandmother's dairy quite intriguing. I work with Holocaust survivors and have many clients who had to leave Vienna when the war broke out. I am looking forward t see how the diary proceeds and how much she was affected by the war and the Nazi regime.